Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Vinno Rokom Dokan: A shop that runs on trust


It is natural that if you go to a shop, you will buy products with the help of the shopkeeper. But if you go to such a shop and find no shopkeeper then how would you feel? It seems to be an astonishing incident. But yes, there is a shop of this kind at Kumarkhali railway station in Kushtia. Handkerchief, napkin, towel and lungi are neatly stacked in the shop. But there is no seller. Hence, the name of this different type of shop is “Vinno Rokom Dokan” (Different kind of shop).
Each product has price tag attached to them. For collecting the price of the product, there is a box in front of the shop. Customers take their required products and keep the price there. The name of the shop owner is Hamidur Rahman Shipon. He is a hawker by profession. He has been fighting with poverty for long time. One profession is not enough for him to run a family. So, he has been thinking of doing something different for a long time. From that thinking, he gets the idea of ‘Vinno Rokom Dokan’. 
The reporter talked to Hamidur Rahman Shipon about ‘Vinno Rokom Dokan’. The summary of the story is given below-

Reporter: What is the reason behind this different plan?

Hamidur: Actually, I have been planning for something like this for one and half year. It is because I am a peddler. I buy cloths and then cut and sew them by myself and then sell them. However, it was not possible for me to run my family by doing this job. And it is also not possible for me to do two jobs together at the same time. So, I came up with this plan. I have written the price on each product. Customers purchase products of their need and put the money inside the box.

Reporter: Do you find any irregularities in the amount after the end of the day?

Hamidur: With the blessings of everyone, so far the shop did not have any problem. It has been seven months that I am running this shop. At the end of the day, I come to the shop to collect the money and check the daily account. But till now, I have never found any irregularities.

Reporter: What kind of support are you getting from those living near the shop?

Hamidur: There is a library next to my shop. The person who runs the library looks after my shop as much as possible. But he has his own work too. It is not possible for him to keep an eye on my shop all day. But I am not facing any problem. It is going well.

Reporter: Do you leave the shop empty all day long, or do you sit at the shop at a certain time?

Hamidur: No, I do not get time to sit at the shop. I open the shop at 9 O’clock in the morning and then go for hawking. I sell handkerchief in Kushtia, Rajbari and Pangsha regions. Though I come back to the shop by the afternoon, I do not stay there. I close the shop at around 10 to 10:30 p.m.

Reporter: How much do you sell every day?

Hamidur: Daily I earn 600-800 taka and after all the expenses I make decent profit.

Reporter: Is your family financially solvent now?

Hamidur: We are now a bit more financially solvent. I am satisfied with the present condition. I hope that prosperity will come back to my family if the condition of the shop becomes much better. 

 
Source-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sydney Carton is a sacrificing hero

Who is Sydney Carton? Sydney Carton is one of the most important characters in the novel, A Tale of Two Cities, written by Charles Dickens. ...