Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Use of the Right Form of Verbs



For any kind of competitive examination, such as Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS) Exam, Bank Exam, Public Varsity admission test, questions regarding Right form of the verbs are must. Even, to write a sentence correctly, one should have the knowledge of these grammar rules. For this reason, I have given some problems with solutions. If you find any mistake, don’t hesitate to mention it in the comment section.

1.   (Mouse) are afraid of cats.
Answer: Mice are afraid of cats.
2.   A string of pearls (be) less bright than her teeth.
Answer: A string of pearls is less bright than her teeth
3.   A strong wind (blow) since last night.
Answer: A strong wind has been blowing since last night.
4.   A tiger is not (ferocious) than a lion.
Answer: A tiger is not more ferocious than a lion.
5.   Anik said that he (go) home next week.
Answer: Anik said that he would go home next week.
6.   Arabic is (speak) in Arab countries.
Answer: Arabic is spoken in Arab countries.
7.   Bangla (to speak) in Bangladesh.
Answer: Bangla is spoken in Bangladesh.
8.   Bread and butter (to be) his daily food.
Answer: Bread and butter is his daily food. 
9.   Della (save) every penny she could.
Answer: Della saved every penny she could.
10.                Each boy (be) present in the meeting yesterday.
Answer: Each boy was present in the meeting yesterday.
11.                Eight years have passed since Jerry (come).
Answer: Eight years have passed since Jerry came.
12.                Eighty miles (be) a long distance.
Answer: Eighty miles is a long distance.
13.                Either of the two boys (to have) done this.
Answer: Either of the two boys has done this.
14.                Fahim (play) for two hours.
Answer: Fahim has been playing for two hours
15.                Fifty miles (be) a long way.
Answer: Fifty miles is a long way.
16.                Five years (to pass) since I met you last.
Answer: Five years have passed since I met you last.
17.                Flowers (be) gift of nature.
Answer: Flowers are gift of nature.
18.                Had King Solomon been the janitor, Jim (pull) out his watch.
Answer: Had King Solomon been the janitor, Jim would have pulled out his watch.
19.                Had the Queen of Sheba lived across the airshaft, Delia (let) her hair hang out.
Answer: Had the Queen of Sheba lived across the airshaft, Delia would have let her hair hang out.
20.                Had you brought me here yesterday, I (feel) differently.
Answer: Had you brought me here yesterday, I would have felt differently.
21.                Had you told me, I (bring) a mule.
Answer: Had you told me, I would have brought a mule.
22.                Hamid (die) last night.
Answer: Hamid died last night.
23.                Have you (to choose) your career?
Answer: Have you chosen your career?
24.                Have you ever (be) to Cox's Bazar?
Answer: Have you ever been to Cox’s Bazar?
25.                He (carry) an umbrella daily.
Answer: He carries an umbrella daily.
26.                He (come) just now.
Answer: He has come just now.
27.                He (go) ten minutes ago.
Answer: He went ten minutes ago.
28.                He (need not) wait for me.
Answer: He need not wait for me.
29.                He (not write) a letter.
Answer: He does not write a letter.
30.                He (return) home just now.
Answer: He has returned home just now.
31.                He (to give) a lecture tonight.
Answer: He will give a lecture tonight.
32.                He (to go) there tomorrow.
Answer: He will go there tomorrow.
33.                He (to lie) on bed in the last evening.
Answer: He lied on bed in the last evening.
34.                He always (help) the poor.
Answer: He always helps the poor.
35.                He did nothing but (sing) all the day.
Answer: He did nothing but sing all the day.
36.                You had better (to do) the work.
Answer: You had better do the work.
37.                He insisted on my (go) to college.
Answer: He insisted on my going to college.
38.                He is capable of (do) the work.
Answer: He is capable of doing the work.
39.                He is the (old) of the five brothers.
Answer: He is the eldest of the five brothers.
40.                He looked at his mother (smile).
Answer: He looked at his mother smiling.
41.                He never (to eat) meat.
Answer: He never ate meat.
42.                He not (return) home last night.
Answer: He did not return home last night.
43.                He not yet (finish) the work.
Answer: He has not yet finished the work.
44.                He recently (return) home from abroad.
Answer: He has recently returned home from abroad.
45.                He speaks as if he (know) everything.
Answer: He speaks as if he knew everything.
46.                He started saving money lest he (fall) into trouble.
Answer: He started saving money lest he should fall into trouble.
47.                He talks as if he (to be) mad.
Answer: He talks as if he were mad.
48.                He talks as though he (to be) a king.
Answer: He talks as though he were a king.
49.                He tells the matter as if he (know) it.
Answer: He tells the matter as if he knew it.
50.                He usually (go) to school by bus, but today he (go) by train.
Answer: He usually goes to school by bus, but today he is going by train.
51.                He worked hard lest he (fail) in the examination.
Answer: He worked hard lest he should fail in the examination.
52.                Her examination (begin) tomorrow.
Answer: Her examination will begin tomorrow.
53.                Her head is full of (louse).
Answer: Her head is full of lice.
54.                His eyes (be) fixed upon Delia.
Answer: His eyes are fixed upon Delia.
55.                Honesty (win) in the long run.
Answer: Honesty wins in the long run.
56.                How long you (wait) for me?
Answer: How long have you been waiting for me?
57.                I (receive) your letter yesterday.
Answer: I received your letter yesterday.
58.                I (see) her long since.
Answer: I saw her long since.
59.                I (see) him long ago.
Answer: I saw him long ago.
60.                I (see) Rubina recently.
Answer: I have seen Rubina recently.
61.                I (to lie) on the floor for three hours.
Answer: I have been lying on the floor for three hours.
62.                I (to see) a tiger yesterday.
Answer: I saw a tiger yesterday.
63.                I am having my house (to repair)
Answer: I am having my house repaired.
64.                I answered (thank) her.
Answer: I answered thanking her.
65.                I asked what his name (be).
Answer: I asked what his name was.
66.                I can't help (listen) to them.
Answer: I can’t help listening to them.
67.                I did not get used to (write) on this rough paper.
Answer: I did not get used to writing on this rough paper.
68.                I don't mind (have) asparagus.
Answer: I don’t mind having asparagus.
69.                I don't want (leave) this place.
Answer: I don’t want to leave this place.
70.                I fancy I (turn) a trifle pale.
Answer: I fancy I turned a trifle pale.
71.                I found a number of (mouse) in the room.
Answer: I found a number of mice in the room.
72.                I found the boy (sleep) on the bed.
Answer: I found the boy sleeping on the bed.
73.                I got the work (do).
Answer: I got the work done.
74.                I have a boy (come) from the orphanage.
Answer: I have a boy coming from the orphanage.
75.                I heard him (to say) so.
Answer: I heard him say so.
76.                I just (have) a snack.
Answer: I have just had a snack.
77.                I just (receive) my father's letter.
Answer: I have just received my father’s letter.
78.                I not (choose) my career yet.
Answer: I have not chosen my career yet.
79.                I saw him (do) it.
Answer: I saw him doing it.
80.                I saw him (go) to the town.
Answer: I saw him going to the town.
81.                I saw the bird (to sit) on the roof.
Answer: I saw the bird sitting on the roof.
82.                I want the work (do) by him.
Answer: I want the work done by him.
83.                I went outside the cabin having (forget) him.
Answer: I went outside the cabin having forgotten him.
84.                I wish I (sing).
Answer: I wish I sang.
85.I wish I (to be) a philosopher like Socrates.
Answer: I wish I were a philosopher like Socrates.
86.I wish I (win) the race.
Answer: I wish I won the race. 
87.I would help him if he (wish).
Answer: I would help him if he wished.
88.I would rather (to die) than (to beg).
Answer: I would rather die than beg.
89.Ice (float) on water.
Answer: Ice floats on water.
90.If he comes, I (go).
Answer: If he comes, I will go.
91.If he did, I (do).
Answer: If he did, I would do.
92.If he ran fast, he (get) the prize.
Answer: If he ran fast, he would get the prize.  
93.If he reads more, he (pass) the exam.
Answer: If he reads more, he will pass the exam.
94.If I (be) you, I would not have done this.
Answer: If I were you, I would not have done this.
95.If I (see) him, I would have given him the news.
Answer: If I had seen him, I would have given him the news.
96.If I (try). I might have succeeded.
Answer: If I had tried, I might have succeeded.
97.If I see him, I (tell) him the matter.
Answer: If I see him, I will tell him the matter.
98.If I were a bird, I (fly) in the sky.
Answer: If I were a bird, I would have flown in the sky.
99.If I were a dove, I (fly).
Answer: If I were a dove, I would have flown.  
100.            If someone had not mentioned her name, I hardly think I (recognize) her.
Answer: If someone had not mentioned her name, I hardly think I could have recognized her.
101.            If you had helped him, I (help) you.
Answer: If you had helped him, I would have helped you.
102.            If you play in the rain, you (to catch) cold.
Answer: If you play in the rain, you will catch cold.
103.            If you wanted, I (help) you.
Answer: If you wanted, I would help you.  
104.            Ill news (run) fast.
Answer: Ill news runs fast.  
105.            Iron (melt) at a high temperature.
Answer: Iron melts at a high temperature.
106.            It (be) like him.
Answer: It is like him.
107.            It (dew) in winter.
Answer: It dews in winter.
108.            It (rain) since morning.
Answer: It has been raining since morning.
109.            It is high time we (change) our eating habit.
Answer: It is high time we changed our eating habit.
110.            It is high time we (start) for the station.
Answer: It is high time we started for the station.
111.            It is many years since they first (meet).
Answer: It is many years since they first met.
112.            It is time he (leave) home.
Answer: It is time he left home.
113.            It was long since I (see) her last.
Answer: It was long since I had seen her last.
114.            Jim was greatly (hug) by Delia.
Answer: Jim was greatly hugged by Delia.
115.            Jim's income (be) shrunk to twenty dollars.
Answer: Jim’s income was shrunk to twenty dollars.
116.            Last night I (have) a wonderful dream.
Answer: Last night I had a wonderful dream.
117.            Let him (to do) the work.
Answer: Let him do the work.
118.            Let the sum (to do) by your teacher.
Answer: Let the sum done by your teacher.
119.            Lucy (break) her leg in a car accident last year.
Answer: Lucy broke her leg in a car accident last year.
120.            Many (ox) are grazing in the field.
Answer: Many oxen are grazing in the field.
121.            Many a boy (be) present in the meeting.
Answer: Many a boy is present in the meeting.
122.            Mobin (see) his mother every summer.
Answer: Mobin sees his mother every summer.
123.            My brother just (move) to a new place.
Answer: My brother has just moved to a new place.
124.            Nasima (draw) the picture now.
Answer: Nasima is drawing the picture now.
125.            Neither of the two boys (be honest).
Answer: Neither of the two boys is honest.
126.            Nimmi wishes she (to be) a millionaire.
Answer: Nimmi wishes she were a millionaire.
127.            No man and no woman (be) there.
Answer: No man and no woman is there.
128.            Of late I (do) the work.
Answer: Of late I have done the work.
129.            One should (take) care of one's health.
Answer: One should take care of one’s health.
130.            One should not say anything without (know).
Answer: One should not say anything without knowing.
131.            Physics (to be) my favorite subject.
Answer: Physics is my favorite subject.
132.            Rafiq is (healthy) than his brother.
Answer: Rafiq is healthier than his brother.
133.            Robin as well as his sisters (sing) well.
Answer: Robin as well as his sisters sings well.
134.            Rome was not (build) in a day.
Answer: Rome was not built in a day.
135.            Ruby (do) her duty properly.
Answer: Ruby does her duty properly.
136.            Ruman went to New Market with a view to (buy) a shirt.
Answer: Ruman went to New Market with a view to buying a shirt.
137.            Rupak decided that he (appear) at the H. S. C. Examination the next year.
Answer: Rupak decided that he would appear at the H. S. C. Examination the next year.
138.            Samira is the (clever) of all the girls.
Answer: Samira is the cleverest of all the girls.
139.            Shamim said that he already (finish) reading the book.
Answer: Shamim said that he had already finished reading the book.
140.            She (sleep), don't disturb her.
Answer: She is sleeping, don’t disturb her.
141.            She is a famous (actor).
Answer: She is a famous actress.
142.            She normally (take) her breakfast at 7 a. m.
Answer: She normally takes her breakfast at 7 a. m.
143.            She proceeded as though I not (speak).
Answer: She proceeded as though I had not spoken.
144.            She usually (go) to school by bus.
Answer: She usually goes to school by bus.
145.            Size do not matter (chop) wood.
Answer: Size does not matter chopping wood.
146.            Slow and steady (win) the race.
Answer: Slow and steady wins the race.
147.            Something is (good) than nothing.
Answer: Something is better than nothing.
148.            Stop (to write) as the bell rings.
Answer: Stop writing as the bell rings.
149.            Suman just (get) his revenge.
Answer: Suman has just got his revenge.
150.            Sumi runs fast as if she (to be) mad.
Answer: Sumi runs fast as if she were mad.
151.            Ten maunds (be) a heavy weight.
Answer: Ten maunds is a heavy weight.
152.            Ten years have passed since he (come) here.
Answer: Ten years have passed since he came here.
153.            The (knife) were all out of use.
Answer: The knives were all out of use.
154.            The agenda (be) carefully set.
Answer: The agenda are carefully set.
155.            The baby (cry) because it is hungry now.
Answer: The baby is crying because it is hungry now.
156.            The baby started (to cry).
Answer: The baby started crying.
157.            The banana was cut into two (half).
Answer: The banana was cut into two halves.
158.            The beggar went away (cry).
Answer: The beggar went away crying.
159.            The bird has (to fly) away.
Answer: The bird has flown away.
160.            The boy (suffer) from fever for five days.
Answer: The boy has been suffering from fever for five days.
161.            The boy (to bit) by a mad dog yesterday.
Answer: The boy was bitten by a mad dog yesterday.
162.            The bus (leave) before I reached the station.
Answer: The bus had left before I reached the station.
163.            The carpenter (work) for last three hours.
Answer: The carpenter has been working for last three hours.
164.            The children came to us (run).
Answer: The children came to us running.
165.            The color of his eyes (to be) blue.
Answer: The color of his eyes is blue.
166.            The dog (to be) a faithful animal.
Answer: The dog is a faithful animal.
167.            The dogs (bark) all the night.
Answer: The dogs bark all the night.
168.            The door was (open) by a Christian.
Answer: The door was opened by a Christian.
169.            The girls (play) in the field now.
Answer: The girls are playing in the field now.
170.            The headmaster and the secretary (be) present in the meeting yesterday.
Answer: The headmaster and the secretary were present in the meeting yesterday.
171.            The headmaster prevented the boy from (tell) lies.
Answer: The headmaster prevented the boy from telling lies.
172.            The hen (to lay) an egg yesterday.
Answer: The hen laid an egg yesterday.
173.            The man (to hang) for murder.
Answer: The man was hanged for murder.
174.            The man seldom (to smoke).
Answer: The man seldom smokes.
175.            The man sold all his (furniture).
Answer: The man sold all his furniture.
176.            The man was (reduce) to skeleton.
Answer: The man was reduced to skeleton.
177.            The moon (shine) at night.
Answer: The moon shines at night.
178.            The old sailor went away (leave) the marriage guest.
Answer: The old sailor went away leaving the marriage guest.
179.            The patriot looks forward to (receive) his reward from God.
Answer: The patriot looks forward to receiving his reward from God.
180.            The peasantry in Bangladesh (be) poor.
Answer: The peasantry in Bangladesh are poor. 
181.            The pious (be) happy.
Answer: The pious are happy.
182.            The play just (begin).
Answer: The play has just begun.
183.            The porter found the words (inscribe) on the door.
Answer: The porter found the words inscribed on the door.
184.            The prime minister as well as the other members of the cabinet (be) present.
Answer: The prime minister as well as the other members of the cabinet is present.
185.            The principal desired the notice to be (hang).
Answer: The principal desired the notice to be hung.
186.            The Principal wants the building (paint).
Answer: The Principal wants the building painted.
187.            The quality of the mangoes (be) good.
Answer: The quality of the mangoes is good.
188.            The rich (be) not always happy.
Answer: The rich are not always happy.
189.            The room seems to be (comfort).
Answer: The room seems to be comfortable.
190.            The students in the class room (be) polite.
Answer: The students in the class room are polite.
191.            The train (to leave) to Delhi at 8 P.M.
Answer: The train leaves to Delhi at 8 P. M. / The train will leave to Delhi at 8 P.M.
192.            The tree not (bear) any fruit yet.
Answer: The tree has not borne any fruit yet.
193.            The United States of America (be) a resourceful country.
Answer: The United States of America is a resourceful country.
194.            The virtuous (be) blessed.
Answer: The virtuous are blessed.
195.            The wages of sin (be) death.
Answer: The wages of sin is death.
196.            The wind (to blow) gently yesterday.
Answer: The wind blew gently yesterday.
197.            The writer dared not (to drive) at night.
Answer: The writer dared not driver at night.
198.            Their family (live) in Dhaka for the last five years.
Answer: The family has been living in Dhaka for the last five years.
199.            There (be) four mosques in our village.
Answer: There are four mosques in our village.
200.            There (stand) a big tree in front of our college.
Answer: There stands a big tree in front of our college.
201.            There (to be) a college in our locality.
Answer: There is a college in our locality.
202.            There are four (M.A) in our school.
Answer: There are four M. As in our school.
203.            They (play) football since morning.
Answer: They have been playing football since morning.
204.            They (sail) away to the south until they arrived in cold grey sea.
Answer: They sailed away to the south until they arrived in cold grey sea. 
205.            They appear as though they just (arrive) from a distant land.
Answer: They appear as though they just arrived from a distant land.
206.            They are bent upon (do) the work.
Answer: They are bent upon doing the work.
207.            They have two (man servant).
Answer: They have two men servant.
208.            They just (reach) the playground.
Answer: They have just reached the playground.
209.            They saw the drunken porter (lie) on the floor.
Answer: They saw the drunken porter lying on the floor.
210.            Today she (weight) twenty one stone.
Answer: Today she weighs twenty one stone.
211.            Two and two (make) four.
Answer: Two and two makes four.
212.            We (be) in Dhaka since last week.
Answer: We have been in Dhaka since last week.
213.            We are none of us (get) any younger.
Answer: We are none of us getting any younger.
214.            We have (elect) him our captain.
Answer: We have elected him our captain.
215.            We never planned of (go) there before.
Answer: We never planned of going there before.
216.            We started after the train (start).
Answer: We started after the train had started.
217.            What (to make) you so angry?
Answer: What makes you so angry?
218.            What you (do) now?
Answer: What are you doing now?
219.            What you (go) to drink now?
Answer: What are you going to drink now?
220.            What you generally (do) for a living?
Answer: What do you generally do for a living?
221.            When he (take) his food normally?
Answer: When does he take his food normally?
222.            When was the book (buy)?
Answer: When was the book bought?
223.            When you (come) last night?
Answer: When did you come last night?
224.            Where they (see) him last week?
Answer: Where did they see him last week?
225.            While (walk) on the road, a plane flew over us.
Answer: While walking on the road, a plane flew over us.
226.            While they (play), the rain came.
Answer: While they were playing, the rain came.
227.            Why (be) you not with her?
Answer: Why are you not with her?
228.            Why he (go) to market yesterday?
Answer: Why did he go to market yesterday?
229.            Why Mr. Peter (look) so angry?
Answer: Why does Mr. Peter look so angry?
230.            Why Ruby (do) it daily?
Answer: Why does Ruby do it daily?
231.            Why she (look) so nervous?
Answer: Why does she look so nervous?
232.            Why they (to go) there yesterday?
Answer: Why did they go there yesterday?
233.            Would that I (enter) the room.
Answer: Would that I could enter the room.
234.            Would you mind (open) the door?
Answer: Would you mind opening the door?
235.            Would you mind (to open) the window?
Answer: Would you mind opening the window?
236.            You (see) her lately?
Answer: Have you seen her lately?
237.            We shall rest here until the teacher (return).
 Answer: We shall rest here until the teacher returns 
238.            You (watch) television often?
Answer: Do you watch television often? 
239.            The train (leave) the platform before we arrived. 
Answer: The train had left the platform before we arrived. 
240.            The car needs (to repair) soon. 
Answer: The car needs to be repaired soon.
241.            If you (take) medicine, you would get cured.
Answer: If you took medicine, you would get cured. 
242.            Rome (not build) in a day.
Answer: Rome was not built in a day. 
243.            No one except his supporters (agree) with him.
Answer: No one except his supporters agrees/has agreed/agreed with him. 
244.            Neither his brothers nor his sister (approve) his decision.
Answer: Neither his brothers nor his sister has approved / approved his decision.
245.            Law and order (be) important.
Answer: Law and order is important. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Dear Sir/Madam, for publishing this important exercise solutions of right form of verb.

    ReplyDelete

Avarice is the main theme of Volpone

The main theme of “Volpone,” one of the best plays by Ben Jonson, is avarice. The central character of this play is Volpone, who was a noble...