Sunday, January 3, 2021

Transformation of Sentences Part Eight (8): Simple to Complex

Transforming sentences from one structure to another structure is perhaps the most difficult task. In this article, I have given some problems regarding changing sentences from simple to complex. I have also provided solutions to every problem. I hope that it will help you to learn how to transform a simple sentence into a complex. 

Transform the following sentences from simple to complex:

1.   The healthy cows give us much milk.

Answer: The cows which are healthy give us much milk.

2.   I was there in autumn.

Answer: I was there when it was autumn.

3.   Undoubtedly smoking causes cancer.

Answer: There is no doubt that smoking causes cancer.

4.   The committee considered him to be the fittest candidate.

Answer: The committee considered that he was the fittest candidate.

5.   The accident took place in the evening.

Answer: The accident took place when it was evening.

6.   There were two people on board.

Answer: There were two people who were on board.

7.   I am sure of passing the examination with credit.

Answer: I am sure that I will pass the examination with credit.

8.   The cuckoo sings in spring.

Answer: The cuckoo sings when it is spring.

9.   Unexpectedly I met him in the college campus.

Answer: It was unexpected that I met him in the college campus.

10.                The cars made in Japan run well.

Answer: The cars which are made in Japan run well.

11.                Standing by the window, the girl looked out.

Answer: When the girl stood by the window, she looked out.

12.                Truly agriculture is the backbone of our economy.

Answer: It is true that agriculture is the backbone of our economy.

13.                Jumping into a cab, she cried gaily.

Answer: When she jumped into a cab, she cried gaily.

14.                I do not know his name.

Answer: I do not know what his name is.

15.                Bangladesh needs honest administrators.

Answer: Bangladesh needs administrators who are honest.

16.                Villagers using fire-wood as fuel are destroying the country’s forest.

Answer: Villagers who use fire-wood as fuel are destroying the country’s forest.

17.                Women having no work pass their time watching television.

Answer: Women who have no work pass their time watching television.

18.                Because of killing the albatross, the old man was punished.

Answer: Since the old man killed the albatross, he was punished.

19.                They saw the drunken porter lying on the floor.

Answer: They saw the drunken porter who was lying on the floor.

20.                I saw a bird flying in the sky.

Answer: I saw a bird which was flying in the sky.

21.                He could not continue his study for poverty.

Answer: He could not continue his study because he was poor.

22.                He is too weak to move.

Answer: He is so weak that he cannot move.

23.                A dishonest boy suffers in life.

Answer: A boy who is dishonest suffers in life.

24.                Coming in the darkness, he knocked at the door.

Answer: When he came in the darkness, he knocked at the door.

25.                An industrious boy can shine in life.

Answer: A boy who is industrious can shine in life.

26.                The sun having set, we reached home.

Answer: We reached home after the sun had set.

27.                The sun having risen, the fog dispersed.

Answer: The fog dispersed after the sun had risen.

28.                Students desiring to go abroad are to complete IELTS.

Answer: Students who desire to go abroad are to complete IELTS.

29.                They agreed to my proposal.

Answer: They agreed to the proposal I made. Or, They agreed to what I proposed.

30.                We wish your success.

Answer: We wish that you may succeed.

31.                The gifts are too nice to be used just at present.

Answer: The gifts are so nice that they cannot be used just at present.

32.                In spite of having knowledge, Mr. Matin was not selected.

Answer: Though Mr. Matin had knowledge, he was not selected.

33.                Monir was loved by all because of his honesty.

Answer: Since Monir was honest, he was loved by all.

34.                The marriage ceremony being over, the guests were going to the feast.

Answer: When the marriage ceremony was over, the guests were going to the feast.

35.                Knowledge is power.

Answer: It is knowledge which is power.

36.                Twenty years ago, I was living in Paris.

Answer: It was twenty years ago when I was living in Paris.

37.                I was admitted to school at the age of five.

Answer: I was admitted to school when I was five.

38.                His silence proves his guilt.

Answer: His silence proves that he is guilty.

39.                His failure is almost certain.

Answer: It is almost certain that he will fail.

40.                I know his residence.

Answer: I know where his residence is.

41.                Everybody wishes to be happy.

Answer: Everybody wishes so that they may be happy.

42.                Health is wealth.

Answer: It is health which is wealth.

43.                Unity is strength.

Answer: It is unity which is strength.

44.                Everybody hates him for his laziness.

Answer: Everybody hates him because he is lazy.

45.                They walked too slowly to catch the bus.

Answer: They walked so slowly that they could not catch the bus.

46.                She hoped to win the first prize.

Answer: She hoped that she would win the first prize.

47.                I dislike him for his laziness.

Answer: I dislike him because he is lazy.

48.                The girl went to a hair shop to sell her hair.

Answer: The girl went to a hair shop so that she could sell her hair.

49.                Entering the classroom, the teacher found the boys gossiping.

Answer: When the teacher entered the classroom, he found the boys gossiping.

50.                Running fast, the boy got the first prize.

Answer: Since the boy ran fast, he got the first prize.

51.                The authoress wanted quiet isolation to do some troublesome writing.

Answer: The authoress wanted quiet isolation so that she could do some troublesome writing.

52.                The farmers sow good seeds to get good crops.

Answer: The farmers sow good seeds so that they can get good crops.

53.                The load being very heavy, he cannot carry it.

Answer: Since the load is very heavy, he cannot carry it.

54.                Having forgotten him, I went outside the cabin.

Answer: When I had forgotten him, I went outside the cabin.

55.                I was startled to see the bill of fare.

Answer: I was startled when I saw the bill of fare.

56.                One day the old man watched some water snakes swimming round the ship.

Answer: One day the old man watched some water snakes which were swimming round the ship.

57.                The Magi brought valuable gifts.

Answer: The Magi brought gifts which were valuable.

58.                Taking exercise regularly, he built a good health.

Answer: Since he took exercise regularly, he built a good health.

59.                You came here only at four.

Answer: You came here when you were four.

60.                On the arrival of my mutton chop, she took me to task.

Answer: When my mutton chop arrived, she took me to task.

61.                Surely he will join the party.

Answer: It is sure that he will join the party.

62.                Certainly she has got a scholarship.

Answer: It is certain that she has got a scholarship.

63.                Tell me the truth.

Answer: Tell me what the truth is.

64.                I read them for pleasure.

Answer: I read them so that I can get pleasure.

65.                They were rewarded for their industry.

Answer: They were rewarded because they were industrious.

66.                I could not go to college because of my illness.

Answer: I could not go to college because I was ill.

67.                Fire wood burnt for cooking causes much harm to our agriculture.

Answer: Fire wood which is burnt for cooking causes much harm to our agriculture.

68.                I think him to be honest.

Answer: I think that he is honest.

69.                At daylight I was half awakened by the sound of chopping.

Answer: When it was daylight, I was half awakened by the sound of chopping.

70.                Finding the door unlocked, the thief entered the house.

Answer: When the thief found the door unlocked, he entered the house.

71.                The question was too tough for the students to answer.

Answer: The question was so tough that the students could not answer.

72.                We read to learn.

Answer: We read so that we can learn.

73.                He helped me in my danger.

Answer: He helped me when I was in danger.

74.                In spite of his working hard, he could not reach his goal.

Answer: Though he worked hard, he could not reach his goal.

75.                Going to my brother, I informed him of the matter.

Answer: When I went to my brother, I informed him of the matter.

76.                Despite hard work, the poor cannot change their lots.

Answer: The poor work hard but they cannot change their lots.

77.                I am sorry to hear of his failure.

Answer: I am sorry that I have heard of his failure.

78.                Put down your name.

Answer: Put down what your name is.

79.                In fact, he is not poor.

Answer: It is a fact that he is not poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avarice is the main theme of Volpone

The main theme of “Volpone,” one of the best plays by Ben Jonson, is avarice. The central character of this play is Volpone, who was a noble...