Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Transformation of Sentences Part Seven (7): Compound to Complex

Whether you are a student or a job seeker, you will get at least one question from the Transformation of Sentences part of English grammar in any competitive examination. It is better to master this if you want to get a good result either in academic or job examinations. 

Turn the following compound sentences into complex: 

 

1.   The doctor did his best for the patient but could not save him.

Answer: Though the doctor did his best for the patient, he could not save him.

2.   Rehana saw it and she knew that it must be for her husband.

Answer: When Rehana saw it, she knew that it must be for her husband.

3.   He sat by the fire with me and told me of their two days together.

Answer: When he sat by the fire with me, he told me of their two days together.

4.   We must develop the habit of speaking the truth or we cannot command others' respect.

Answer: If we do not develop the habit of speaking the truth, we cannot command others' respect.

5.   Do or die.

Answer: If you do not do, you will die.

6.   All the boys should pass the examination and we hope it.

Answer: We hope that all the boys should pass the examination.

7.   We were waiting for the coffee and the head waiter brought a basket full of peaches.

Answer: When we were waiting for the coffee, the head waiter brought a basket full of peaches.

8.   Walk fast or you cannot get the train.

Answer: If you do not walk fast, you cannot get the train.

9.   The criminal was repentant and he was pardoned.

Answer: Since the criminal was repentant, he was pardoned.

10.                There was water everywhere around them but they had not a drop to drink.

Answer: Though there was water everywhere around them, they had not a drop to drink.

11.                It exists but it is difficult to explain.

Answer: Though it exists, it is difficult to explain.

12.                Our teachers love us and we respect them.

Answer: Since our teachers love us, we respect them.

13.                Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Answer: If you spare the rod, you will spoil the child.

14.                Smoking causes cancer and this is well known.

Answer: This is well known that smoking causes cancer.

15.                 Hold your tongue or I will turn you out from the class room.

Answer: If you do not hold your tongue, I will turn you out from the class room.

16.                He had vast knowledge and therefore he was made chairman.

Answer: Since he had vast knowledge, he was made chairman.

17.                A student needs to study a lot and for this he should have a room of his own.

Answer: Since a student needs to study a lot, he should have a room of his own.

18.                Drive carefully or there may be accident.

Answer: If you do not drive carefully, there may be accident.

19.                Do as I suggest you or you will suffer.

Answer: If you do not do as I suggest you, you will suffer.

20.                Waste not, want not.

Answer: If you do not waste, you will not want.

21.                Speak the truth and I will let you go.

Answer: If you speak the truth, I will let you go.

22.                Follow my example and you will feel better.

Answer: If you follow my example, you will feel better.

23.                Man is mortal and it is true.

Answer: It is true that man is mortal.

24.                He is honest and it is a fact.

Answer: It is a fact that he is honest.

25.                He behaved rough; yet he was pardoned.

Answer: Though he behaved rough, he was pardoned.

26.                Many women were present there and all of them wept to hear the news.

Answer: All the women who were present there wept to hear the news.

27.                I bought some interesting novels and I presented them to my sister.

Answer: I bought some interesting novels which I presented to my sister.

28.                The door opened and he stepped in.

Answer: When the door opened, he stepped in.

29.                Drink milk and you will get vitamin.

Answer: If you drink milk, you will get vitamin. 

30.                He spoke very fast and we could not follow him.

Answer: He spoke so fast that we could not follow him. / Since he spoke very fast, we could not follow him.

31.                He had finished the work and took rest.

Answer: When he had finished the work, he took rest.

32.                The man saw the tiger and went away.

Answer: When the man saw the tiger, he went away.

33.                I paid the bill and I had no money in my pocket.

Answer: Since I paid the bill, I had no money in my pocket.

34.                The dog lay close to him and found comfort there.

Answer: When the dog lay close to him, it found comfort there.

35.                A boy stole my watch and I could recognize him.

Answer: I could recognize the boy who stole my watch.

36.                I asked him some questions and he could not answer them.

Answer: I asked him some questions which he could not answer.

37.                I took a cabin and asked for man to chop wood.

Answer: When I took a cabin, I asked for man to chop wood.

38.                The girl wanted to get the best prize and for this she worked hard.

Answer: As the girl wanted to get the best prize, she worked hard.

39.                Their throats were very dry and they could not speak.

Answer: Their throats were so dry that they could not speak. / Since their throats were very dry, they could not speak.

40.                Attend the college regularly and you will get better education.

Answer: If you attend the college regularly, you will get better education.

41.                He worked hard but failed.

Answer: Though he worked hard, he failed.

42.                He is proud of his learning and so he does not do any manual labor.

Answer: As he is proud of his learning, he does not do any manual labor.

43.                I cannot afford to buy many books; therefore I usually study in the library.

Answer: Since I cannot afford to buy many books, I usually study in the library.

44.                For seven days he tried to pray but could not break the sailors' curse.

Answer: Though for seven days he tried to pray, he could not break the sailors’ curse.

45.                He left the country but the reason was mysterious.

Answer: Though he left the country, the reason was mysterious.

46.                He is about eighty; yet he moves freely.

Answer: Though he is about eighty, he moves freely.

47.                It disturbed me but I did not know the reason.

Answer: Though it disturbed me, I did not know the reason. / I did not know why it disturbed me.

48.                They gave the bird food and water and it became tame.

Answer: As they gave the bird food and water, it became tame.

49.                The ship came nearer and they saw it had no crew.

Answer: When the ship came nearer, they saw it had no crew.

50.                He did his best, still he could not come out successful.

Answer: Though he did his best, he could not come out successful.

51.                You helped me; otherwise I would have been ruined.

Answer: If you had not helped me, I would have been ruined.

52.                Do and die.

Answer: If you do, you will die.

53.                There were many students and they all shouted.

Answer: There were many students who all shouted.

54.                At once the albatross fell from his neck and he fell into a deep sleep.

Answer: As soon as the albatross fell from his neck, he fell into a deep sleep.

55.                The albatross is a big sea bird and it brings good luck to the sailors.

Answer: The albatross is a big sea bird which brings good luck to the sailors.

56.                The man has lost all his teeth and as a result he cannot eat solid food.

Answer: As the man has lost all his teeth, he cannot eat solid food.

57.                He is rich but he is unhappy.

Answer: Though he is rich, he is unhappy.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much.You write both questions and answers. I have benefited a lot from this. Again thanks a lot 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Very Much.l have also benefited a lot from this

    ReplyDelete
  3. tnx for this help....🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this help..

    ReplyDelete

Avarice is the main theme of Volpone

The main theme of “Volpone,” one of the best plays by Ben Jonson, is avarice. The central character of this play is Volpone, who was a noble...