Saturday, December 21, 2019

Narration: Assertive Sentence Part One (1)

Narration is considered one of the most difficult parts of English grammar. Most of the second language learners make mistakes when they try to change the speech from direct to indirect. Here, in this post, I am providing you the solutions of some exercises about assertive sentences. I think both students and job seekers will be benefited by it.
1.   Rashed said, “I ate my meal.”
Answer: Rashed said that he had eaten his meal.
2.   He will say, “I shall do the work tomorrow.”
Answer: He will say that he will do the work the next day.
3.   My friend said to me, “I have already finished my work.”
Answer: My friend said to me that he had already finished his work.
4.   He said to me, “You study sincerely and may stand first in the examination.”
Answer: He advised me to study sincerely and I might stand first in the examination.
5.   He said to you, “I live here in Chittagong.”
Answer: He said to you that he lived there in Chittagong.
6.   Sagar said to Anwar, “I have passed the examination.”
Answer: Sagar said to Anwar that he had passed the examination.
7.   He said, “I have been working since sunrise.”
Answer: He said that he had been working since sunrise.
8.   Dolly said to me, “I want to go to school now.”
Answer: Dolly said to me that she wanted to go to school then.
9.   Moin said to him, “I shall go to Chittagong tomorrow.”
Answer: Moin said to him that he would go to Chittagong the next day.
10.                The teacher said, “The moon shines at night.”
Answer: The teacher said that the moon shines at night.
11.                Ali says, “I did not play yesterday.”
Answer: Ali says that he did not play the previous day.
12.                Salim said to me, “I was ill.”
Answer: Salim said to me that he had been ill.
13.                My father said to me, “We are going there tomorrow.”
Answer: My father told me that they were going there the next day.
14.                Amina said, “Father, I shall go to bed now.”
Answer: Amina said to her father that she would go to bed then.
15.                Zaman said, “Man must submit to destiny.”
Answer: Zaman said that man had to submit to destiny.
16.                He said to Ratul, “You were merely a boy when I saw you last.”
Answer: He said to Ratul that he (R) had been merely a boy when he (speaker) had seen him last.
17.                The teacher said, “Time and tide wait for none.”
Answer: The teacher said that time and tide wait for none.
18.                The teacher said to the students, “The more you read, the more you learn.”
Answer: The teacher said to the students that the more they read, the more they learnt.
19.                You said to me, “You do not do your duty.”
Answer: You said to me that I did not do my duty.
20.                The old man said to the girl, “I know you and your father.”
Answer: The old man said to the girl that he knew her and her father.
21.                Fahim said to me, “I am drawing a picture for you.”
Answer: Fahim said to me that he was drawing a picture for me.
22.                Sadique said, “I saw Mohammed near our school.”
Answer: Sadique said that he had seen Mohammed near their school.
23.                Farid said to me, “You are not sincere and therefore I do not trust you.”
Answer: Farid said to me that I was not sincere and therefore he did not trust me.
24.                I said to him, “I am sick and I cannot attend the meeting.”
Answer: I said to him that I was sick and could not attend the meeting.
25.                The teacher said, “All men are equal in the eye of law.”
Answer: The teacher said that all men are equal in the eye of law.
26.                Karim says, “I did not go because I was ill.”
Answer: Karim says that he did not go because he was ill.
27.                He said, “The train reached at nine.”
Answer: He said that the train had reached at nine.
28.                The teacher said to Camelia, “You must listen to what your parents say.”
Answer: The teacher said to Camelia that she must listen to what her parents say.
29.                The girl said, “Sir, I know the answer of this question.”
Answer: The girl addressing as sir said that she knew the answer of that question. 

10 comments:

Avarice is the main theme of Volpone

The main theme of “Volpone,” one of the best plays by Ben Jonson, is avarice. The central character of this play is Volpone, who was a noble...