Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Transformation of Sentences Part Three (3): Assertive to Exclamatory

"Transformation of sentences" is perhaps the most complicated part of English grammar. Most students find it difficult to change the sentence from one format to another format without changing its meaning. However, questions from this grammar part are a must when it comes to any competitive examination, such as BCS, Bank, Varsity admission. Being good at it means the examinee or candidate having the highest possibility of getting enrolled in any good university or getting a good job offer. I hope this article will be helpful to many of you. If you find any mistake, do not hesitate to mention it in the comment box. 

Transformation of sentence from Exclamatory to Assertive: 

 

1.   What a fool you are!

Answer: You are a great fool.

2.   How talkative she was!

Answer: She was very talkative.

3.   How pretty the girl is!

Answer: The girl is very pretty.

4.   What a fine flower it is!

Answer: It is a very fine flower.

5.   Would that we could enter the house!

Answer: We wish we could enter the house.

6.   How exciting the first day in Cox’s Bazar is!

Answer: The first day in Cox’s Bazar is very exciting.

7.   How sweetly the cuckoo sings!

Answer: The cuckoo sings very sweetly.

8.   What a nice flower the rose is!

Answer: The rose is a very nice flower.

9.   What a big river the Padma is!

Answer: The Padma is a very big river.

10.                Hurrah! We have won the match.

Answer: It is a matter of joy that we have won the match.

11.                Hurrah! We are victorious.

Answer: It is a matter of joy that we are victorious.

12.                Alas! I am undone.

Answer: It is a matter of sorrow that I am undone.

13.                What a lovely place it is!

Answer: It is a very lovely place.

14.                How beautiful the youngest sister was!

Answer: The youngest sister was very beautiful.

15.                If I could be a child again!

Answer: I wish I could be a child again.

16.                Had I been a merchant!

Answer: I wish I had been a merchant.

17.                What a beautiful bird it is!

Answer: It is a very beautiful bird.

18.                How fortunate the porter was!

Answer: The porter was very fortunate.

19.                Had I possessed a lot of wealth!

Answer: I wish I had possessed a lot of wealth.

20.                How charming is the first meal in a strange town!

Answer: The first meal in a strange town is very charming.

21.                How charming still is Italy!

Answer: Italy is still very charming.

22.                How time does fly!

Answer: Time flies very fast.

23.                How deep her love for Selim was!

Answer: Her love for Selim was very deep.

24.                What a wonderful scenery it is!

Answer: It is a very wonderful scenery.

25.                If I were a millionaire!

Answer: I wish I were a millionaire.

26.                If I were a philosopher like Socrates!

Answer: I wish I were a philosopher like Socrates.

27.                How sweet the mango is!

Answer: The mango is very sweet.

28.                How tall the tower is!

Answer: The tower is very tall.

29.                What a pity it is!

Answer: It is a great pity.

30.                What a luxurious life he leads!

Answer: He leads a very luxurious life.

31.                Ah! What a sight was there!

Answer: There was a great sight.

32.                What a good command he has over English!

Answer: He has a very good command over English.

33.                Would that we may soon meet!

Answer: I wish we may soon meet.

34.                Fie! He is a traitor!

Answer: It is shameful that he is a traitor.

35.                Oh that we were freedom fighters!

Answer: I wish we were freedom fighters.

36.                Oh that I were safe at home!

Answer: I wish I were safe at home.

37.                Oh for the wings of a dove!

Answer: I wish for the wings of a dove.

38.                How correct his pronunciation is!

Answer: His pronunciation is much/very correct.

39.                How attractive his method of teaching is!

Answer: His method of teaching is very attractive.

40.                What a wonderful creature an elephant is!

Answer: An elephant is a wonderful creature.

41.                O that we two were infants playing!

Answer: I wish we two were infants playing.

42.                Oh that I were young again!

Answer: I wish I were young again.

43.                How poor was his performance in the SSC examination!

Answer: His performance in the SSC examination was very poor.

44.                How brightly the stars shine!

Answer: The stars shine very brightly.

45.                How sweetly the moonlight sleeps upon the bank!

Answer: The moonlight very sweetly sleeps upon the bank. / The moonlight sleeps most sweetly upon the bank.

46.                How fiercely the sun is shining!

Answer: The sun is shining very fiercely.

47.                How melodiously the parrot was singing!

Answer: The parrot was singing very melodiously.

48.                What a dangerous thing politics is!

Answer: Politics is a very dangerous thing.

49.                Fie! Fie! You are coward.

Answer: It is a matter of contempt that you are a coward.

 

Transformation of sentence from Assertive to Exclamatory:

 

1.   I wish I had the wings of a dove.

Answer: Had I the wings of a dove! / If I had the wings of a dove!

2.   A little learning is a very dangerous thing.

Answer: What a dangerous thing a little learning is!

3.   The heat was very terrible.

Answer: How terrible the heat was!

4.   She was very talkative.

Answer: How talkative she was!

5.   It was an exciting game.

Answer: What an exciting game it was!

6.   He leads a most unhappy life.

Answer: What an unhappy life he leads!

7.   I earnestly desire to see her once. / I wish I could see her once.

Answer: Would that I could see her once! / If I could see her once!

8.   The scenery of the place is very charming.

Answer: How charming the scenery of the place is!

9.   I wish I were young again.

Answer: If I were young again!

10.                It was a very lucky day.

Answer: What a lucky day it was!

11.                It is a very beautiful bird.

Answer: What a beautiful bird it is!

12.                I wish I could fly in the sky.

Answer: If I could fly in the sky! / Would that I could fly in the sky!

13.                You are a great fool.

Answer: What a fool you are!

14.                The fob chain of Jim was very nice.

Answer: How nice the fob chain of Jim was!

15.                My hair grows very fast.

Answer: How fast my hair grows!

16.                The sun shone very hotly overhead.

Answer: How hotly the sun shone overhead!

17.                The next few days were very terrible.

Answer: How terrible the next few days were!

18.                The Padma is a very big river.

Answer: What a big river the Padma is!

19.                The girl sings very sweetly.

Answer: How sweetly the girl sings!

20.                I wish I could go there in time.

Answer: If I could go there in time! / Would that I could go there in time!

21.                The sight is very pathetic.

Answer: How pathetic the sight is!

22.                I have got a very nice gift for you.

Answer: What a nice gift I have got for you!

23.                I wish I were a king.

Answer: If I were a king!

24.                I wish I were a bird.

Answer: If I were a bird!

25.                I wish I were a president.

Answer: If I were a president!

26.                It is a very nice creature.

Answer: What a nice creature it is! 

2 comments:

Avarice is the main theme of Volpone

The main theme of “Volpone,” one of the best plays by Ben Jonson, is avarice. The central character of this play is Volpone, who was a noble...